Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Spell TEACHER

Note: This article is intended to air the
sentiments of a student like me
who wants to be heard.

Teacher, Professor, Madame, Sir… These are some names that we often label them. Kind, considerate, diligent, intelligent, industrious, “masungit”, and terror; every teacher has their own unique characteristic and teaching routine. However, I have experienced a different kind of professor during my three years in college. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Professor X… (Not the one who leads the X-men… laughs).
A teacher is the one who instructs, prepares and leads his or her students on the path that they wanted to achieve. How would they do that, if they don’t teach anything? From the start of the semester up to this point, I haven’t learned a thing. If I would be asked who taught me of what I knew about the subject that Professor X is teaching, I would say that our class has been doing nothing but to teach ourselves about what we should know. Lately, we have been instructed to do our own documentary film. At first, I was excited to do that. Not knowing that Professor X will not instruct us what to do, we obeyed him. Of course, obeying his or her teacher is a responsibility of a student. What I was trying to point out is that we, students, will have a better output of our documentary, if only he taught us what we should do. And now, we are stressed and pressured to finish this documentary without being supported by our own professor.
They say that a teacher is the second mother or father of a student. If they are so, why can’t we find them when we need them? They are not even attending classes. Imagine, I am trying to get up early just to attend his classes only to find out that he is not around. When I wanted to ask something about our project, he is nowhere to find.
I had this professor who held our journalism subject. Our class learned, maybe a few, but we still need to learn more. He may be teaching us but it is not enough that we sit and listen to him as he read to us his outlines. Good thing that he taught us the Code and Ethics of a Journalist, at least I could write an article but still, I need more.
A saying goes: “Be proud, you are a teacher, you mold the future…” What would happen in the future, if our teachers are not that competent? I am an AB Communication student, and it is not easy for someone like me to look for a job. It is not easy for us to go with the flow of other Universities in Manila who offers the same course. We need to be a competent student and that is only possible if the one who teaches is also competent. The curriculum is good, but we need someone who will make us feel that it is worth our lifetime. I remember my dad who told me to shift to another course or transfer to other university because of what is happening in our subjects. I hope the university will not wait for students to transfer to another school because of this reasons.
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” I hope that in my remaining year in college, I would be proud to say that I am a graduate of this course in this university. Again, this is not intended to degrade the dignity of professors; this is intended to air the sentiments of a student like me who wants to have a better and quality education.

1 comment:

Cristina Reyes said...

I hope I had the chance to meet the other teachers?...